If you study the Yijing (I Ching), the Chinese Book of Changes and one or more of the following statements applies to you then this two-day Yijing Workshop Intensive is for you:
- When I consult the Yijing I often find it difficult to interpret the answer
- I do not always understand the language used by the Yijing
- I only use the text of the Yijing, and I would like to do more with the hexagram
- I do not know how to interpret the trigrams
- I know that every line of a hexagram has a meaning, and would like to know and use them
- I’m curious how others use the Yijing
- I have been using the Yijing for years, but still feel like a beginner
- I want to know more about the Chinese philosophy behind the Yijing
- I want to integrate the Yijing into my own profession
In two fascinating days you will learn how to get the most out of your Yijing experience. This is what the workshop will cover: Continue reading
有孚攣如: this sentence also occurs at H61.5.
You fu 有孚: see here.
Luan 攣: to join, to connect. There are a few dictionaries (like 《新甲骨文編》) who link this character to an oracle bone character (see image). This OBI character has the same components as 攣: silk threads 絲 with a hand 爫. But in 攣 this hand 手 is below. Most dictionaries regard the OBI form as the precursor of 𦃟 ‘to tie (up)’, following the Shuowen 說文 which says 𦃟 籀文系從爪絲: 𦃟 is the Large Seal form of 系. From 爪 ‘hand’ and 絲 ‘two threads of silk.’ Continue reading
有孚血去. 惕出. 无咎.
It has been more than a year since I wrote my last Translation Note. This has mainly to do with one word: punctuation. The original Chinese text does not have any punctuation and for months I did not know how to parse the sentence. A very similar sentence is found at hexagram 59, line 6: 渙其血去逖出无咎. I figured that knowing how to punctuate this line would also help me punctuate H9.4. I thought I was the first to struggle with this punctuation problem but at H59 Jack Kuo gives three possible options: Continue reading
I recently quit Facebook but to stay in contact with my fans I set up my own FB-like environment. If you are a fan of me and my work I invite you to join and participate. There is a forum, you can post pictures, blogs, even memes are allowed. I hope to see you there.